Interamerican Leadership Training 2019: Participation Information
The Interamerican Leadership Training is a project of the Interamerican Region of the World Organisation of the Scout Movement (WOSM – IAR). Arising out of the 2013 Regional Conference in Argentina, the ILT was developed to build leadership capacity in National Scout Organisations (NSOs) throughout the region. It was conceptualised as 10 year program that will take two participants from each NSO every year in order to create 20 new leaders for each NSO. The course is hosted by a different NSO for two years after which another NSO takes responsibility.
The project is funded by the Messengers of Peace (MOP) Support Fund. As a result, participants are exposed to the Messengers of Peace program and are expected to complete a Messengers of Peace project on their return from the course.
|ILT Pilot||Cockrell Scout Centre,|
|ILT 2 |
(ILT By The Sea)
|Sea Scout Base Galveston,|
|ILT 3||San Jorge Muxbal,|
Guatemala City, Guatemala
|ILT 4||San Jorge Muxbal,|
Guatemala City, Guatemala
|ILT 5||Quito, Ecuador||Isaac Thomas|
|ILT 6||Quito, Ecuador||Krishan Punilal|
This year’s ILT will be the Seventh iteration of the course and will be held in Panama.
- Arrival: Saturday 28th December 2018
- Departure: Saturday 4th January 2019
All costs in relation to the course will be covered by the MOP fund.
Top international leaders and participating ILT alumni will present on leadership, planning and communication. Sessions are designed for participation rather than classroom training.
- Values of Scouting
- Better World Framework/ Designing an MOP Project Effective Communication
- Team Development
- Problem Solving/Decision Making
- Consensus Building/Conflict Management
- Between the ages of 18 and 25
- Be a member of the Scout Association for at least 3 years
- Strong track record of involvement in service activities
- Hold or have held a leadership position as a youth member/leader/committee member
- Knowledge of WOSM’s Vision 2023 and ScoutsTT’s Strategy 2020
- Be willing to contribute towards development of youth leadership programs nationally on return
- Be willing to take up a leadership role within the movement locally (Group/District etc.) or a national role
The following qualities will be an asset to the participant:
- Involvement in Messengers of Peace projects
- Experience in planning or execution of service projects or project management
- Knowledge of World and Regional Scout Policies
- Understanding of challenges facing youth and Scouting nationally
- Ability to speak and understand Spanish highly desirable
- Ability to speak French, Portuguese, or Papiamentu
Participants will serve as ambassadors of the NSO as well as the country. In this regard they are expected to know about the state of Scouting nationally and possess an appreciation of the societal challenges faced. They are expected to be appreciative of our national culture and be able to explain same to persons of other nationalities.
Messengers of Peace
Participants, on completion of the course, will become part of the global Messengers of Peace Network which is part of WOSM’s Global Network of Service. To this end, in addition to the completion of an MOP project upon return, participants will be expected to promote the programme locally and to join the local network. For one year after the course they will be expected to play an active role in the MOP network at a national level.
By taking part in this course participants are agreeing to contribute to the development of their National Scout Organisation. It is expected that participants will take up greater leadership responsibility and play an active role in Scouting at either the National or District level. It is hoped that participants will network with fellow participants from across the region during and after the course in order to contribute to the development of Scouting.
- Fill out the online application form by Thursday 17th October, 2019
- Obtain recommendation from Group Scout Leader or District Commissioner/ADC
- Email A copy of recommendation letter to [email protected]
- If eligible, you will be invited to attend an interview at National Headquarters